Academic institutions today opt to use an open source learning management system, because of the following advantages:
- No license fee: While most software companies charge universities large annual fees for their products, open source licenses are free.
- Flexible: It is possible to customize open source products with the help of third parties, and by importing new features and tools from the open source community.
- Continuous service: It is because of the presence of the open source community’s network that there is a very low risk of them ever discontinuing their services. There are also volunteers from various open source support systems like forums who can be turned to for help.
- Keeps on improving: There are constant improvements made to open source software products. This is because various programmers and volunteers from different organizations and institutions continuously contribute to the projects.
- Tax advantages: Most governments have tax-free policies to help boost open source projects.
Click Here to view the list of Free open source software options for Academic Institutions(K-12/Higher Ed)