- Accelerate your high-res workflow: More content today is shot with high-res cameras, but the majority of programming is still HD. With the new FrameFlex tools, you can immediately start working in HD directly from high-res sources and maintain full creative control of the image reframing and keyframing, from beginning to end. In addition, 1D/3D Look Up Tables (LUTs) and Color Decision Lists (CDLs) make it easy to perform real-time RAW and LogC to Rec. 709 color space conversions.
- Automate your media management: Gain more time for creativity with new features that accelerate and simplify file-based workflows. With Dynamic Media Folders, non-creative media tasks such as transcoding, copying, and consolidating can be automated in the background, without disrupting your editorial flow. Plus, you’ll get peace of mind as Media Composer now fully manages AMA-linked media as reliably as it does with native Avid media.
- Extend real-time production everywhere (Interplay Edition only): Edit, share, tag, track, and sync media and projects with everyone on your editing team—no matter where you are in the world. Media Composer Interplay Edition provides full Interplay Production, Interplay Central, and Interplay Sphere support on Mac and PC, making remote cloud-based collaboration easy and cost-effective. What’s more, you can edit just as efficiently as you would if you were all at the home facility, using the same tools and workflows you know and trust. Media Composer Interplay Edition is available from Avid resellers and Avid sales reps only.
- Gain total audio control: Forget wasting time mixing down audio levels by trial and error. With the new Master Audio Fader, you can insert RTAS plug-ins to tweak tones and optimize the overall program loudness, making broadcast regulation adherence quick and easy. You can also now make audio adjustments to any clip directly in the timeline—independently of any track-based automation—with the Clip Gain control.
- Streamline the video workflow with Pro Tools users: Video Satellite is now included with Media Composer, enabling audio editors and mixers to play Avid HD and SD video sequences directly in sync with their Pro Tools session, while maintaining full system power. And since Video Satellite eliminates the need to render effects, transcode video, or copy files for the audio team, you gain maximum post-production efficiency to turn around projects faster.
- Get more value—and options: The industry’s most trusted NLE is now more accessible than ever, with a starting price of just $999 (USD) for the full version of Media Composer 7. If you need to collaborate with others around the world, Media Composer 7 Interplay Edition provides additional support for the Avid Interplay family of products. And if you need advanced color correction tools, mastering tools, and the Boris Continuum Complete effects suite, add the Symphony option to Media Composer to get the full Symphony advantage. (See the Symphony Option FAQ.)
- Get 9-way real-time multicam support for Long GOP (XDCAM) media
- Select multiple clips in the timeline without the filler
- Edit without interruption with new audio waveform caching
- View location sound metadata from Broadcast Wave files with support for iXML
- Deliver finished sequences to a standardized AS-11 (AMWA) MXF OP1a file
- Work with Alpha channel media using the new AMA QuickTime with Alpha plug-in
- Edit easier with new AMA enhancements (see how):
- Find what you need faster with the new AMA navigation window
- Consolidate or transcode only AMA clips in your sequence
- Relink to specified video and audio tracks in your timeline
- Speed through tasks with drag-and-drop support
- Edit on Windows 8 laptops and computers
- Editing: With Media Composer, you can edit file-based media, stereoscopic 3D material, tape, and film faster and easier than anything else available.
- Full 64-bit power: Fast gets even faster with native 64-bit operation, so even when you layer together the most complex effects, things will still feel snappy. Experience smoother playback, faster rendering performance, and better handling with large bins—and say goodbye to the old memory limitations of 32-bit operating systems.
- Open to anything: You never know what kinds of media, projects, and people will arrive at your desk or doorstep. That’s why Media Composer offers open workflows, so you can take on whatever challenge awaits. Work with high-res sources, file-based media, tape, and film. Capture and monitor with your choice of powerful and reliable Avid or third-party interfaces. Accelerate editing with Artist Series control surfaces. Integrate into any professional production pipeline. Sync projects with Pro Tools editors. And take your offline online to Avid DS— without redoing work.
- Experience the “waitless” workflow: With AMA (Avid Media Access), you can instantly access and edit file-based media—including ARRI ALEXA MXF, RED (EPIC, SCARLET-X, and ONE), AVCHD, ProRes, QuickTime (including footage from HDSLR cameras), XDCAM, P2, Canon XF, and other formats—without transcoding or copying files (watch the video ). Preview footage without the wait. And as new cameras and formats emerge, manufacturers can create and release their own AMA plug-ins independently from a software release.
- Work with any media: File-based media, 2K/4K/5K footage, analog and digital tape, stereoscopic 3D material, film—bring it on. Media Composer offers ACE-certified editing tools and a wide range of features, workflows, and options that enable you to work with everything, from old-school media to the latest camera technologies. Plus, you can work in HD from a high-res source without having to transcode or resize files.
- Experience cutting-edge storytelling: It doesn’t matter how you learned to edit—Media Composer goes where others leave off, enabling you to work the way you want. Trim and manipulate on the fly using the Smart Tool (see the Smart Tool in action ), or perform ultra-precise edits using traditional tools. Mix and match media formats, frame rates, resolutions, and more in the same timeline without rendering (see Mix and Match in action ). And edit HD material in real time—in mastering picture quality—using Avid DNxHD or DNxHD 444.
- Edit 3D: Edit stereoscopic 3D material as quickly and easily as you do with standard 2D footage, with a full set of features and workflows. Capture, edit, and manage the complete 3D end-to-end workflow. Mix and match 2D and stereoscopic 3D clips on the same track. Plus, work with full frame and frame-compatible sources, full-fledged editing tools, video effects, and more.
- Workflow: With fully collaborative workflows, accelerated editing options, and industry-proven reliability, you can exceed expectations under the tightest deadlines.
- Accelerate performance with Avid hardware: For the fastest capture/edit/monitor/output workflows, pair Media Composer with a Nitris DX or Mojo DX video interface and experience hardware-accelerated power that’s second to none. You can even customize Nitris DX with up to two Avid DNxHD or AVC-Intra chips to fully support stereoscopic 3D and HD RGB 4:4:4 workflows.
- View the Nitris DX specs
- Learn more about Mojo DX
- View Nitris DX datasheet
- Work with the hardware you have: Media Composer is fully open thanks to Avid Open I/O, so you can work with your choice of powerful and reliable Avid audio and video interfaces or third-party video I/O cards, including those from AJA, Blackmagic Design, Bluefish444, Matrox, and MOTU. Manufacturers can simply create plug-ins using Avid Open I/O to have their hardware work with Media Composer, meaning you’ll have even more choices to come.
- Get stock footage and more in the Avid Marketplace: Conveniently browse for stock footage, plug-ins, hardware, and more, right from within Media Composer—no shoes, shirt, or pants required. Search for, preview, and purchase stock footage from T3 Media in context with your project. Shop for plug-ins, software options, and compatible hardware to extend your capabilities. You’ll even find training material and other media that’ll help perfect your skills.
- Collaborate with everyone, everywhere: Share media, projects, and bins—locally and across the world—to complete projects on time and on budget. With Avid ISIS, you and your team can access the same assets and capture media to the same volume simultaneously, without copying. Collaborate across mixed editing platforms, including Final Cut Pro, through AMA, which supports ProRes encoding (Mac only) and decoding. Share audio mixes with Pro Tools editors—and vice-versa—using AAF. And extend real-time production everywhere with Interplay Sphere.
- Gain peace of mind with reliable media management: Whether you work alone or as part of a team, you won’t have to worry about losing your assets. Media Composer provides you with 20+ years of industry-proven media management innovation, which keeps track of all your projects, assets, source material, rendered files, metadata, and more, so you don’t have to. Not only that, you can automate media tasks in the background and track your assets the way you want.
- Find the right clips and best takes fast: Working on a scripted or dialog-heavy project such as a reality TV show, documentary, or interview? Save hours of time with two powerful dialog search options. For script-based projects, the ScriptSync powered by Nexidia option analyzes all clip dialog in your project and then syncs all relevant clips to the script, so you can find the best takes fast. For dialog-driven material, the PhraseFind powered by Nexidia option indexes all clip dialog in your project, enabling you to quickly locate all relevant clips by searching on a key word or phrase.
- Everything you need: Get the look, sound, and quality you want using a host of built-in effects, audio, and color tools, plus a suite of bundled software: Avid FX (Boris RED), Sorenson Squeeze, and Avid DVD.
- Design and dazzle with visual effects: Give your projects that professional polish. Create eye-catching 2D and 3D composites, titles, animation, and effects with Avid FX (aka Boris RED). Add visual drama and depth with the built-in 2D and 3D effects, title tools, transitions, keying, and motion effects. Track and stabilize motion. And expand your visual palette with our third-party partners' effects, many of which can be purchased within Media Composer through the Avid Marketplace.
- Create studio-quality soundtracks: Make your projects sound as good as they look using the built-in audio recording, editing, and mixing tools (watch the video ). Record and monitor voiceovers, overdubs, and more using select Avid audio interfaces. Edit and mix in up to 7.1 surround sound (watch the video). Polish sounds with 20 included AIR effects—the same plug-ins that come with Pro Tools. And expand your sound with the industry’s best compressors, reverbs, and other sound processing plug-ins, many of which can be purchased within Media Composer from the Avid Marketplace.
- Color correct and grade with precision: Save time and maintain the highest quality production with the fully integrated 10-bit color correction toolset. Quickly and accurately match colors from shot to shot using NaturalMatch. Gain better color precision with support for full-quality 4:4:4 HD-RGB color space processing. Get fine control over shots with animatable color correction. Speed up your color work with Artist Color (watch the video ). And if you need advanced and secondary color tools—plus mastering tools and Boris Continuum Complete—add the Symphony option to Media Composer.
- Design and deliver: With Avid DVD and Sorenson Squeeze included, you can author DVDs and optimize media for the highest-quality playback—online or on disc. Author professional DVDs using Avid DVD, which works with Windows-based systems (including emulation software on Macs). With Sorenson Squeeze, you can optimize content in a variety of formats (including HD, DVD, MPEG-2, MPEG-4/H.264, Flash, and 3GPP). Need to master your final delivery? Add the Symphony option to Media Composer.
- Version and archive sequences with AS-02/AS-11: With support for AS-02/AS-11 MXF formats through AMA, you can manage multiple versions of the same sequence easily, as the AS-02/AS-11 packs everything into a single bundle without duplicating assets, saving storage space. Seamlessly move content between Avid and other systems that support the formats. Use JPEG 2000, DNxHD, IMX, AVC-Intra, and uncompressed media in your versioning/archive workflow. And because the formats are open industry standards, you’ll eliminate time wasted on repackaging content.
- Support: Media Composer is easy to learn and use, but help is always available when you need it, from video tutorials, user-driven forums, and the Knowledge Base, to Avid Advantage Support plans and training.
- Get started fast: To help you get up and running quickly, we offer a huge collection of video tutorials, workflow guides, webinars, and more on our website. Or advance your career with Avid Training, which offers a variety of courses taught by certified experts.
- Join the community for support and more: Need advice or answers from your peers and experts? Join the Avid community, made up of hundreds of professional editors and Avid representatives around the world. Search for answers, ask questions, or help others in our forums. Get some great tips and tutorials from other users in the community. And check out what other Symphony users are doing or thinking about in our Blogs section.
- We’re here to help: If you need personal assistance, help is just a click, email, or phone call away. We offer a variety of support options, from Avid Per Incident Support to Avid Expert, ExpertPlus, and Elite Support plans.