- Mobile app development for multiple platforms: Build standalone Flex/ActionScript® applications for one or more mobile platforms (Android™, BlackBerry®, or iOS). Design and Code views support mobile development using mobile-ready components.
- Previewing and debugging of mobile applications: Test mobile applications on the desktop using a mobile Adobe AIR® runtime emulator, or test on locally connected mobile devices using a one-click process to package, deploy, and launch.
- Mobile application packaging and signing: Deploy, package, and sign required resources as platform-specific installer files for upload to a mobile application distribution site or store.
- Mobile apps for Android, iOS, and BlackBerry Tablet OS: Benefit from new support for mobile application development and testing, enabling the use of a common codebase to build apps for Android™, iOS, and BlackBerry Tablet OS while sharing code from web applications.
- Code faster: Accelerate coding using powerful, improved intelligent code editing.
- Metadata code completion: Benefit from metadata code completion that enhances existing content assist functionality by providing suggestions for both Adobe Flex® Software Development Kit (SDK) and custom metadata tags.
- Code generation: Use QuickAssist/Fix to rename and manipulate variables, generate getters/setters and event handlers, organize imports, and more. Use the override/implements feature to define methods from a superclass or interface.
- Additional coding improvements: Accelerate your coding with block selection and edit mode; next/previous subword navigation; code formatting of MXML documents; CSS class reference content assist, navigation, and refactoring; and more.
- Customizable Flash Builder: Customize how Flash Builder generates MXML/ActionScript code using code templates, specify trigger keys for content assist and auto-complete suggestions, and specify Flash Player versions for launch/debug.
- Powerful coding tools: Use a powerful Eclipse based IDE that includes editors for MXML, ActionScript, and CSS as well as syntax coloring, statement completion, code collapse, interactive step-through debugging, and automatic code generation.
- Refactoring and ASDoc support: Quickly navigate through code or restructuring by renaming all references to a class, method, or variable thanks to refactoring support. Display comments in MXML and ActionScript editors using ASDoc.
- Data-centric development: Introspect Java, PHP, Adobe ColdFusion®, REST, and SOAP services to display methods and properties in the new Data/Service Explorer. Drag and drop to bind methods to user interface components.
- Invalid reference live highlighting: See references to invalid variables, methods, classes, and interfaces as you are typing in the code editor, and then use the Quick Assist/Fix features to generate stub code.
- Flash Builder 4 added: File template support, ASDoc content display, states code visibility, move refactoring, rename refactoring, code indentation, content assist proposal cycling, content assist camel case, view call hierarchy.
- Flash Builder 4 also added: Import organizing; override indicators; indent on code paste; code folding; and debugging enhancements including expression evaluations, run to line debug, conditional breakpoints, and watchpoints.
- Code templates: Use over 100 new best-practice code templates (aka snippets) for ActionScript, MXML, and CSS. Review and insert templates using code assist. Create custom templates and import or export them for sharing within teams.
- More productivity, more power: Accelerate coding and testing of Flex and ActionScript projects using extensive new and improved tooling features.
- Design-develop workflow: Speed up development by working in parallel with designers using Adobe Flash Catalyst® software.
- Bidirectional designer/developer workflow: Take advantage of new support in Flash Builder 4.5 and Flash Catalyst CS5.5 that enables designers to open, make changes to, and save Flex projects that were either created or previously edited in Flash Builder.
- Custom Spark components for designer skinning: Rapidly prototype user interface elements and build component business logic by creating custom Spark component classes. Then use Flash Catalyst to convert visual artwork and skin components.
- Roundtrip editing in Flash Catalyst: Use the new edit in Flash Catalyst feature to quickly make changes to component skins. Changes made in Flash Catalyst CS5.5 are automatically reflected in Flash Builder.
- Large project development: Work with large projects more efficiently to speed up development.
- Design View improvements: Speed up development with Design View enhancements such as rendering improvements for complex projects, auto-collapse of data-binding expressions, warnings for incompatible SWCs, visual feedback for drag/drop operations, and improved performance.
- Improved large-application performance: See up to a 65% reduction for refactoring operations on projects with a large number of dependent libraries, a significant reduction in memory used when profiling complex applications, and improved profiler responsiveness.
- Command-line build: Use the command-line build capability to automate your build process.
- Expanded platform support: Get the latest platform support in Flash Builder 4.5.
- Updated platform support: Take advantage of new platform support for Eclipse™ 3.6 (Helios) and the standard Eclipse for Java™ distribution; the Cocoa version of Eclipse on Mac OS X; and Adobe Flash Player 10.1, Adobe AIR 2.5, and Flex SDK 4.5.
- New Spark components: Use powerful new Spark components in Flex SDK 4.5, including the new Spark Datagrid, Form, and Image controls for web/desktop applications.
- Desktop Adobe AIR applications: Build, debug, package, and sign AIR applications. Adobe AIR lets you quickly develop rich Internet applications (RIAs) for the desktop with the same skills and codebase you use to build RIAs for the browser.
- Rich application design: Lay out and customize expressive user interface behaviors and controls.
- Rich visual layout: Visually design and preview user interface layout, appearance, and behavior using a rich library of built-in components. Extend the built-in Flex framework components or create new ones as needed.
- Interactive data visualization: Create data dashboards and interactive data analysis by dragging and dropping a chart type and linking it to a data source. Use the powerful Advanced Datagrid to enable users to explore complex data.
- Skinning and styling: Customize application appearance using CSS and graphical property editors. Set commonly used properties and preview the results in Design View. Browse themes and apply them to projects with the Theme Browser.
- Rich expressive experiences: Create more intuitive, engaging applications to help people understand and use data to support key business activities, leading to increased levels of productivity and effectiveness.
- Powerful testing tools: Optimize application performance and troubleshoot bottlenecks.
- Memory and performance profilers: Accelerate application performance using memory and performance profilers that monitor and analyze memory consumption and CPU cycles.
- Functional testing support: Get support for automated functional testing tools such as HP QuickTest Professional. Automate functional testing using the Flex unit testing framework.
- Network Monitor: Generate a detailed audit trail of all data passed between the local Flex application and the back end, assisting with debugging and performance tuning.
- PHP development: Speed up development using Flash Builder with Zend Studio software thanks to integrated Flex/PHP tooling.
- Integrated copy of Zend Studio 8: Create Flex/PHP projects using a wizard, introspect PHP classes, and debug using the integrated debugger. Develop, test, and debug faster, troubleshoot issues quickly, and improve team collaboration.
- PHP developer collaboration: Improve collaboration between project members with the robust, team-oriented PHP development features in Zend Studio.
- New integrated PHP tooling support: Benefit from an optimized Flex/PHP development experience using the integrated copy of Zend Studio 8 software included in Flash Builder 4.5 for PHP.